When you email Invoices to your clients, you are not limited to attaching a PDF to a generic email. You can create different Invoice Emails for different types of clients through the Document Editor. If you are not familiar with building custom Documents at all, it's a good idea to start here before proceeding with your Invoice Email Document.
To create an Invoice Email Document, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Documents.
- Click Add Document.
- For the Document Type, select Invoice Email.
- Enter a Name for the Document. This is only for internal use; the client will not see it.
- Enter a Description for the Document. This can be the same text as the Name; your client will not see this.
- Enter a Subject. This is the subject line of the email your client will receive.
- Decide whether or not you want to attach a PDF of an Invoice to the Invoice email.
- Decide if this document will be your default Invoice Email Document for sending to all clients.
- Click Save to access the Document Editor.
- Select a template to begin with or begin from a completely blank Document. For the purpose of these instructions, we are choosing the second template.
- Click the company logo to replace it with a customized image using the content panel on the right.
- Customize any of the text or merge tags in the template.
- If you do not have the Client Portal subscription on your account, remove the Pay Now button from the template. This button will take the client to the Client Portal to pay their Invoice but it will not work without the proper subscription.
- Add an Invoice Grid, if desired. This would display the Invoice line items directly within the body of the Invoice Email. For steps on how to do this, please click here. If you've already created an Invoice Grid, click the grid icon to designate it.
- Click Save when you are finished.